Thursday, October 12, 2017

Growing Deeper. Reaching Wider.

Many years ago, when we were new to Abiding Love, we signed up as offering tellers. This time we were dutifully counting the offerings from end of year worship services. As we counted, all offering amounts were forgotten except one generous gift designated for Lutheran World Relief.

The contributors of this generous gift were friends who had talked a little about making faithful giving a priority, but this gift was above and beyond any amount I had ever dreamed of giving to my church or any charity in one chunk. As time passed, my family and others were recipients of this couple’s acts of generosity and love. Generosity for them started out as intentional, but became matter of fact, heartfelt and a way of life.

Observing this act of generosity greatly influenced our little family’s response to God’s love. We worked harder to be good stewards and intentionally gave back to God off the top of our earnings a percentage we were comfortable with. Later, we even gave gifts to Abiding Love that required sacrifice.

Thinking about how our intentions became habits reminds me of something my husband’s grandmother once told me about giving offerings to God. She said, “I’ve never once regretted it. And I’ve always been blessed.” I couldn’t have said it any better.

Gracious God, help us to develop habits of generosity that glorify you, bless all your people and bring us closer to you in the process. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment